Over the past few weeks, I have been largely absent from the world because I have achieved a new level of busy. Some of it was my doing. Some of it was life pummeling me with lemons faster than I can make lemonade.
I’m not even that big of a lemonade fan.
Anyway, here’s what I’ve been up to. In the past couple weeks I have:
- Hit a high C during an improv show.
- Caught not one, but two colds. The first turned me into a snot machine. The current cold makes me feel like my cat has been using the inside of my throat as a scratching post.
- Kicked off NaNoWriMo.
- Built a good chunk of my very own, programmed (mostly) from scratch WordPress theme.
- Programmed and sent my very first email in html.
- Cursed Outlook for fucking up the spacing of my very first email.
- Used my cats as foot warmers.
- Turned on the heat in my apartment.
- Had a drink with the editor of Analog.
- Wrote three feature stories, two press releases, more blog posts than I care to count, and an internal memo I never hope I have to write again.
- Discovered the wisdom of emergency communication plans.
- Stuck up for myself.
- Did lights and sound for an opening ceremony that took two hours to prepare for and twenty minutes to execute.
- Almost got stuck in an elevator with four members of the Rolling Thunder.
- Cracked jokes about politics and shit. I mean literal shit, FYI.
- Delivered terrible news to colleagues.
- Chugged a Shirley Temple.
- Walked around barefoot in a ballroom.
- Recorded a story in my closet. (Radioheads will understand when I say it’s the best sound quality I could get in my apartment.)
- Met Garth Nix.
- Applied duck tape to the bottom of my car.
- Savored a beautiful view of airplanes taking off and landing at Reagan National Airport.
- Made several new friends.
- Said goodbye to a bunch of old friends who I only see a couple times a year.
- Said goodbye to one friend who I will never see again.
- Said, multiple times, “Fuck cancer.”